SIZE: 6” two-layer and 4” one-layer round tiers
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
Using Edible Image® Print-on-Demand technology, celebrate milestone occasions with style!
1. At least three days ahead, make the fondant frame. Roll out White Vanilla Fondant (Item #46755) and use the largest two cutters from an oval cutter set to create the frame. Use the shell tool from the 9 Piece Tool Set (Item #13315) to impress a pattern all the way around the cut frame. Let dry.
2. Cut a solid oval from the fondant, using the largest cutter. TIP: To ensure that this oval—on which the photograph will be adhered—is slightly smaller than the frame, cut the oval and then evenly “wriggle” the cutter around the cut fondant before lifting the cutter away. Let dry.
3. The next day, create the flowers and foliage to embellish the frame. Roll tendrils by hand and create a dimensional floral arrangement using the Flower and Leaf Cutters set (Item #15344) with very thinly rolled fondant, or a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. Attach décor to the dried frame using gum glue and let dry.
4. Use the same cutter set to make three fondant leaves for the base of the cake and let dry.
5. Spray the frame and the leaves with Lucks Gold Shimmer Airbrush Color (Item #43542) and let dry.
TIP: You will have greater success applying shimmer color in several thin coats, allowing at least 15 minutes of drying time between coats. Let dry.
6. Use Standard Print-Ons® Sheets (Item #41100) to print a photo of your choice. Ensure that the photo will fit inside the frame, and be sure to observe all copyright laws.
7. Store the printed image in a sealed metalized bag until ready to use.
8. Ice each tier, and apply the black dotted print from Classic Dots and Stripes Variety Designer Prints™ decorations (Item #45059) to the 6” tier.
9. Apply Black Shimmer Ribbons™ decorations (Item #45815) around the base of each tier.
10. Assemble and stack the cake.
11. Mix black icing using Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290).
12. Use black icing in a #8 round tip (Item #11031) to pipe bottom borders at the base of each tier.
13. Carefully cut out your edible photograph to fit the solid oval backing, and adhere using a light application of water or gum glue.
14. Carefully attach the frame to the fondant-backed photograph, and attach to the top tier with icing.
15. Arrange one Large Bright Red Royal Icing Rose (Item #13803) at the base of the cake, and attach with icing. Surround with a few gold leaves, as shown.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz