SIZE: 8”, 6” and 4” round tiers
SKILL LEVEL: Easy/moderate
This breezy cake is perfect for Spring or Summer birthdays, showers, or trendy weddings!
1. Make hot air balloons two days ahead: mix small portions each of lime, pink and blue fondant using Lucks Liqua-Gel Colors in Neon Brite Green, Deep Pink and Sky Blue, respectively mixed into White Vanilla Fondant. Use these to cut balloon baskets freehand, as shown.
2. Attach strips of both Pastel Patterns Variety and Polka Dot Variety Designer Prints™ strips to thinly-rolled fondant or gum paste. Cut each strip in half and tile in squares using the instructions found on page 3 of our Cake Crafting™ Style Guide.
3. Cut one green polka dot and one daisies print disc, using the 3-¾” round cutter from the Plain Round Cutter Set. Cut one 3-¼” disc each from the pink dot and plaid patterns, and one 2-½” disc each from the blue dot and multi-color dot patterns.
4. Carefully cut out a thin almond shape from the center of one disc of each size, using an X-Acto knife, as shown.
5. Trim the edges of the remaining large disc to an almond shape with a width of 2-5/16”, the remaining medium disc to a width of 2-¼” and the remaining small disc to a width of 1-½”.
6. Roll out or extrude four fondant or gum paste ropes to act as basket strings; add some gum powder for additional strength if desired. TIP: alternate strings may be cut from candy or lollipop sticks, available at your local craft store.
7. Let all pieces dry overnight.
8. The next day, assemble balloons as shown, using gum glue. Let dry overnight.
9. To assemble the cake, mix enough light blue fondant to cover and border the cake, using Lucks Sky Blue Liqua-Gel Color mixed into White Vanilla Fondant.
10. Cover and assemble the tiers.
11. To make the cloud border, use varying sizes of blossom cutters and Plain Daisy Cutters, cut daisy shapes and cut in halves both evenly and unevenly (i.e., ratios of 50-50, 60-40, 70-30). Overlap and attach to cake using a light application of water or clear, potable alcohol.
12. Make scrolling cloud embellishments with hand-rolled or extruded white fondant, attaching to cake with water or alcohol. TIP: pipe scrolling clouds onto cake using royal icing in a #5 plain round tube as an alternate solution.
13. Attach hot air balloons to cake using icing or melted chocolate.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz