SIZE: 8” x 8” round
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
This double-decker creation will leave your guests OOhing and AAhing!
1. At least two days ahead, make the royal icing hanger topper. Mix royal icing with Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290) and pipe the shape on wax paper with a #5 plain round tube (Item #11027). The following day, carefully remove the hanger from the wax paper and turn over; repipe the pattern along the reverse side.
2. With Lucks Black Liquid Airbrush Color (Item #10157), airbrush a variety of pink buttons from the Baby Button Assortment Dec-Ons® Decorations (Item #45216); let dry.
3. Assemble both 8” layers on boards and ice independently, using pink icing mixed with Lucks Pink Liquid Airbrush Color (Item #10165). Refrigerate one cake.
4. Mix a batch of black icing using Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290).
5. For greater stability when stacking the tiers, assemble as you would a wedding cake, using a 4” cake between 8” layers. [In lieu of the 4” cake wrap a 4” x 2” Styrofoam dummy in saran wrap]. Pipe ruffles around the sides of this small layer using pink icing and a #104 rose tip (Item #11046) before stacking the top tier.
6. With a #4 plain round tube (Item #11026) and black icing, pipe dots and scrolls to the top and sides of the cake as shown.
7. With a #4 tube and pink icing, pipe beaded bottom borders on both tiers.
8. Gently place your royal icing hanger on the top of the cake, using a few small pink dollops behind it for support.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz