SIZE: 8”, 6” and 4” stacked
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
Go ahead, stick your neck out and display this stunning safari cake…they’ll come running in herds!
1. Ice the 8” and 4” tiers separately.
2. Mix three batches of icing: one with Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290), one with Lucks Egg Shade Airbrush Color (Item #10160), and the last with three parts Lucks Green Airbrush Color (Item #10162) to one part Lucks Brown Airbrush Color (Item #10159).
3. Apply Safari Tall Variety Designer Prints® decorations (Item #45062) to the 8” and 4” tiers; measure your finished cakes to trim Designer Prints® to the appropriate height. For the top layer, cut a zebra print round and apply to the top. To connect the pattern on the sides to the pattern on the top of the cake, either paint stripes with a fine paintbrush and Lucks Black Airbrush Color (Item #10157), or pipe with a #3 plain round tip (Item #12751) and black icing. You may also bypass this step by using a piped border, or by leaving the top blank.
4. Stack and ice a three- or four-layer 6” tier atop the 8” cake, dowelling well.
5. Airbrush land and sky on this tier with brown airbrush and Lucks Blue Liquid Airbrush (Item #10158) colors, as shown.
6. With a fine paintbrush, add ground definition to the parting line between land and sky.
7. Arrange top tier on the cake.
8. Fill a pastry bag, outfitted with a Delrin coupler (Item #12501), with egg shade icing. Using just the coupler, pipe the body, the neck, and the head of the giraffe.
9. Attaching a #5 plain round tube (Item #12753) to the pastry bag, pipe legs, nose, ears and tail. Use a #4 plain round tube (Item #12752) with black icing to pipe eyes and hoof; use a #4 with egg shade to add eyelids and ear definition.
10. With a medium paint brush and brown airbrush color, paint the giraffe’s nose, ear tips and spots. With the fine paint brush, fill in background trees on either side of the giraffe.
11. With a #5 tip and fudge or chocolate icing, pipe tree trunks, then the giraffe’s horns and mane.
12. With a #5 tip and green icing, pipe tree leaves and blades of grass around the tree trunks.
13. With a #8 plain round tube (Item #12756) and black icing, pipe a bottom border.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz