Designer Prints® Decorations
WHAT ARE THEY?
Created to bring design to the side of the cake, Designer Prints® designs match up from strip to strip and can easily be wrapped around your desserts. Printed with stable food colors on a starch and sugar base, they are more resistant to fading than Print On-Demand technology. They meld to the surface by absorbing moisture from the food item, cut easily after application and are freeze-thaw stable.
Orthodox Union Kosher Certified
View Lucks Designer Prints™ decorations.
by Icing Type
- American Buttercream (crusting buttercream): Apply Designer Prints® strip while icing is tacky. If frosting crusts beforehand, mist lightly with water.
- Cooked European Buttercream: If butter ratio is high, it prevents complete adherence. If you have trouble with the image melding, mist frosting lightly with water.
- Nondairy/Dairy Whipped Topping: Do NOT add any extra moisture to the topping. The moisture content is already perfect for adherence.
- Frozen Whipped Topping or Icing: Before applying image to cake surface, be sure ice crystals have fully melted.
- Run Royal Icing: Moisture content of run icing is too wet for immediate application. Allow icing to dry before attempting to apply a Designer Prints® strip. After the icing is dry, lightly brush clear piping gel or simple syrup only to area to be covered with design.
- Royal Icing: Add a generous mist of water (being careful to avoid puddles) before icing dries to prevent crusting before application.
- Fondant: Using clear potable alcohol, such as vodka or Everclear, spray an even coat over fondant with airbrush. Apply Designer Prints® strip immediately to fondant’s surface.
Application for Ice Cream Cakes
If your ice cream cake is covered in a thin layer of ice crystals, let it sit out for a few minutes. This will allow the thin layer of ice to soften and provide the needed moisture for the Designer Prints® to adhere to the side of the cake.
Designer Prints® designs can, on contact with frozen ice cream, freeze and become brittle; do not attempt to remove, adjust or pat down large bubbles or the print may crack.
When using pre-made cake blanks:
The sides of the cake may bulge or be bowed for optimal results, allow the cake to sit out for a few minutes to soften slightly, then use a cake comb to straighten the sides. Apply Designer Prints® designs as usual.
The cake may be shorter than the height of the Designer Prints® designs; for optimal results, measure the height of your cake before applying prints. If the cake is shorter than the print, use scissors or an X-Acto™ knife to trim.
Edible Designer Prints® range from 10” to 10.5” in length. You can buy pre-printed Designer Prints® strips or Print On-Demand strips, or you may simply cut full Edible Image® design sheets into thirds, quarters, etc.
For Best Results
Use an X-Acto™ knife to trim the white edges from the long ends of each designer strip before applying the Designer Prints® to the cake.
Return all images to the re-sealable bag as soon as they are no longer needed.
Measure and cut the last strip while it is still attached to the backing strip to avoid waste.
Use an X-Acto™ knife to trim the last strip from the bottom up after applying to the cake to avoid tearing.
When building tiered cakes, assemble them completely before beginning to apply designs.