Edible Image® Designs
What are they?
Edible Image® designs are flat-printed edible designs that can be applied to cakes, cookies, ice cream cakes and other edible goods. Printed with stable food colors on a starch and sugar base they are more resistant to fading than Print On-Demand technology. They meld to the surface by absorbing moisture from the food item, cut easily after application and are freeze-thaw stable.
Orthodox Union Kosher Certified
View Lucks Edible Image® designs.
by Icing Type
- American Buttercream (crusting buttercream): Apply Edible Image® design while icing is tacky. If frosting crusts beforehand, mist lightly with water.
- Cooked European Buttercream: If butter ratio is high, it prevents complete adherence. If you have trouble with the image melding, mist frosting lightly with water.
- Nondairy/Dairy Whipped Topping: Do NOT add any extra moisture to the topping. The moisture content is already perfect for adherence.
- Frozen Whipped Topping or Icing: Before applying image to cake surface, be sure ice crystals have fully melted.
- Run Royal Icing: Moisture content of run icing is too wet for immediate application. Allow icing to dry before attempting to apply Edible Image® design. After icing is dry, lightly brush clear piping gel or simple syrup only to area to be covered with design.
- Royal Icing: Add a generous mist of water (being careful to avoid puddles) before icing dries to prevent crusting before application.
- Fondant: Using clear potable alcohol, such as vodka or Everclear, spray an even coat over fondant with airbrush. Apply Edible Image® design immediately to fondant’s surface.
Having trouble removing image? Humid or moist conditions can cause the image to stick to the backing. If this happens try one or more of the following:
• Roll the sheet (image side up) over the table edge to loosen.
• Pop the image in the freezer for 15 to 30 seconds (some images may require more or less time) then try rolling the sheet on table edge again.
• Use a Cricut™ brand spatula to carefully separate the image from the backing sheet.
Image too soft for placing? If high humidity or warm hands make the image too floppy to handle, use the backing sheet to transport and slide the image into place on the cake or treat.
Worried about smearing ink? In humid conditions, the black ink may smear when applying image. To prevent this, use a piece of the backing sheet to smooth out the surface of a placed image.
Are the Edible Image® design colors running? The moisture content of the product you are placing it on may be too high. Do not add extra moisture to high-moisture products like non-dairy whipped toppings. Also consider the following:
• Be careful with freeze/thaw cycle of freezer to avoid build-up of ice crystals on frozen product.
• If product is decorated and refrozen, make sure packaging is vented to avoid ice buildup.
• Thaw finished frozen decorated products slowly, preferably uncovered in the refrigerator, to avoid sweating and color run.
Images brittle and cracking? This can happen if the storage bag is not resealed properly or if conditions are arid. If this happens, try one or more of the following:
• Place a humidifier in the area where you are storing the images.
• Place the bag in your proof box, open the bag to capture steam and reclose it.
• Open the bag near hot running water, allow steam only to enter bag and then reclose the bag.
• Place the single Edible Image® decoration in an airtight plastic container with a warm damp cloth, ensuring cloth does not touch image.
Does it bubble after application? Gently tap the image down with fingertips – do NOT rub. Bubbles can occur when the image is applied to over-whipped icing. As the bubbles of air rise to the surface of the icing, the image traps them and forms a bubble underneath. To prevent bubbles, be sure not to over whip icing before applying to cake.
Store your finished product as normally required for food safe handling. Edible Image® decorations will not affect the shelf life of your finished product and are freezer, refrigerator and shelf-stable.
Store Edible Image® designs in their original silver resealable bag in a cool, dark place and make sure the bag is completely sealed when you are done. If you are located in arid or humid temperatures properly storing images is important for optimum application.
If you have purchased Edible Image® designs from a vendor who has repackaged them in Ziploc bags, be aware these bags are not airtight. Try double-bagging them to prevent them from drying out. Lucks cannot guarantee quality of repacked Edible Image® designs.