BBQ Burger and Hot Dog Cakes
SIZE: Other (sculpted one layer round, sculpted two layer round, and cupcakes)
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate/Advanced
1. Mix small batches of red, blue, green, “hot dog” pink, and yellow icings using Premium Gel Colors.
2. Fill and carve layers of burger cake to a dome, then ice smooth in white buttercream.
3. Cut one round cake in half to create the hot dog bun, standing both pieces on edge; ice smooth in white buttercream.
4. Use “hot dog” pink icing in a #807 large round tip to pipe the dog across the bun. TIP: use a scant amount of Red Red Premium Gel Color, mixed with a scant amount of Golden Yellow to achieve this color.
5. Spray burger and dog buns with golden brown airbrush color.
6. Use brown airbrush color to accentuate creases and add dimension to both sets of buns.
7. Use fudge icing in a #22 tip to pipe a faux burger patty midway around the burger bun.
8. Use green icing in a #352S tip to pipe burger lettuce as shown, and then red and yellow icings in #5 tips to pipe ketchup and mustard around the patty.
9. Use blue icing in #12 and #5 tips, as well as red icing in a #5 and white icing in a #3, to pipe the primary message on the burger, if desired.
10. Use red and yellow icings in #5 tips to pipe “Happy” on hot dog, as shown.
11. Roll out white fondant about ¼ inch thick, then chop into fine squares to create faux chopped onions for the hot dog. Apply carefully to avoid disrupting your airbrush finish.
12. Decorate festive cupcakes using white icing in a #827 star tip, finishing with Dec-Ons® decorations.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz