Birthday Balloon Cookies
SIZE: 3 ½ - 4 inch sugar cookies
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
1. Prepare your favorite no-spread sugar or short dough recipe, and use a specialty cutter or create a paper template to cut out star, heart and round balloon shapes. TIP: Use a discarded Edible Image® backing to cut out a simple template and use to cut dough with a kitchen knife, to make a custom cookie shape.
2. Mix batches of light and medium shades of pink, green and blue royal icing using Premium Gel Colors. Outline each cookie with colored royal icing in a decorating bag with the tip snipped off; or use piping tip #1. When outline is slightly set, flood the cookie with thinned royal icing. While flooded cookie is still wet, add lighter color royal icing dots. TIP: Use a cookie scribe to pop any air bubbles that form in the icing, and to move icing to fill tight corners. Let icing dry completely.
3. When icing is completely dry, add small “balloon highlights” to each cookie with white royal icing.
1. Arrange Mini Adorable Unicorn Sweet Shapes® fondant pieces and hold in place with dabs of icing or piping gel to create a variety of faces and expressions. Cut black circle in half for a smiling mouth.
2. Add white eye highlights and black smiles with royal icing or buttercream using piping tip #1.
1. Pipe messages onto cookies with white royal icing or buttercream using piping tip #1.