Blooming Butterfly Shaped Cake
SIZE: Other (Shaped)
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
1. Use a paring knife to cut four facing wing pieces, as shown. TIP: You may use a sheet cake or rounds to create these pieces. If desired, use a stencil to ensure symmetry across sides.
2. Ice each piece in white icing, then chill.
3. Arrange pieces on cake board to create the shape of a butterfly.
4. Apply Edible Image® elements to all wing pieces, as shown.
5. Mix batches of blue and mauve icing using Premium Gel Colors. TIP: to achieve a rich mauve tone, mix equal parts Red Red and Purple gels. Be sure to start with just a scant amount, adding more pigment if needed to deepen color.
6. Use mauve icing in a #124 petal tip to pipe flower petals, as shown, on the large upper wings. Smooth with a small offset spatula stroke.
7. Use blue icing in a #124 petal tip to overlay a second layer of petals; smooth with a small offset spatula.
8. Use white icing in a #124 tip to over lay a final layer of petals, smoothing with a small spatula.
9. Pipe finishing details using white icing in a #5 tip (upper and lower wing trim).
10. If you wish, pipe antennae onto your cake board once the butterfly is finished … use white icing in a #8 round tip.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz