Dad Racetrack Cake
SIZE: 10” round
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
Use age numerals or any short name as racetracks on this zippy race car cake!
1. Mix or have on hand green, blue, gray and black icings (buttercream or non-dairy tinted with Lucks Premium Gel Colors in Leaf Green, Royal Blue and Black), or pre-colored whipped topping.
2. Take the cake from the freezer and let rest for just a few minutes, to allow the ice crystal to soften. Use this time to fill your pastry bags:
--one with green and a #18 star tube
--one with blue and a #22 star tube
--one with black and a #12 plain piping tube
--one with gray and a #5 plain piping tube
--one with white and a #3 plain piping tube
3. Airbrush the sides of the cake with Lucks Premium Airbrush Colors in Orange and Blue, as shown.
4. Airbrush the top of the cake with Lucks Green Premium Airbrush Color.
5. Airbrush “racetrack” characters (letters or numbers) on the top of the cake using Lucks Black Premium Airbrush Color. TIP: characters may be sprayed freehand, or a template may be cut from backing sheet material or paper.
6. Pipe dotted street lines in the centers of each character using white icing in a #3 piping tip.
7. Pipe a bottom shell border using blue icing in a #22 star tip.
8. Pipe a “grassy” top border using green icing in a #18 star tip.
9. Pipe eight tires spaced evenly around the base of the cake using black icing in a #12 piping tip. Pipe hubcaps and bolts in each using gray icing in a #5 piping tip.
10. Attach Mini Race Cars Dec-Ons® decorations on each “racetrack” character.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz