SIZE: 8”, 6” and 4” round tiers
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
Using Edible Image® Print-on-Demand technology, take the guesswork out of centerpiece inscriptions!
1. At least three days ahead, make the fondant frame. Roll out White Vanilla Fondant and either freehand cut or use a stencil to cut the frame. Use the shell tool from the 9 Piece Tool Set to impress a pattern all the way around the cut frame. Let dry.
2. Cut a solid oval slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the frame but larger than the inside diameter. This will be used to support the Edible Image® inscription. Let dry.
3. Cut two ovals from the fondant, using the second and fourth smallest cutters from a plain oval cutter set. Use the shell tool to impress patterns. Let dry.
4. The next day, create the flowers and foliage to embellish the frame. Create a dimensional floral arrangement using the Flower and Leaf Cutters set with very thinly rolled fondant, or a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. Attach décor to the dried frame using gum glue and let dry.
5. Spray the frames with Lucks Gold Shimmer Airbrush Color and let dry. TIP: You will have greater success applying shimmer color in several thin coats, allowing at least 15 minutes of drying time between coats. Let dry.
6. Use Standard Print-Ons® Sheets to print an inscription of your choice. Ensure that the photo will fit inside the frame.
7. Store the printed image in a sealed metalized bag until ready to use.
8. Mix black royal icing using Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color. Use a #2 round tip to pipe the year on the larger fondant oval. Let dry.
9. Ice each tier, and apply the striped print from Classic Dots and Stripes Tall Variety Designer Prints™ decorations around each tier.
10. Assemble and stack the cake.
11. Mix red fondant using Lucks Super Red Liqua-Gel Color. Roll out and ruffle red fondant ribbons, one inch wide, to create an inverted ruffle border for the base of each tier, as shown.
12. Repeat this process using white fondant, creating two additional ruffle borders for each tier.
13. Carefully cut out your printed inscription and adhere to the fondant backing plate using a light application of water or gum glue.
14. Carefully attach the frame to the printed inscription, and attach to the center tier with icing.
15. Affix one Key Assortment Dec-Ons® decoration to the smallest oval with icing, and attach to the top tier. Attach the largest oval to the bottom tier with icing.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz