SIZE: 10” round
SKILL LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
The Spirit of Canada shines through this bold patriotic cake!
1. For the red ribbon around the sides of the cake and the red stripes on the flags, use Lucks Red Liquid Airbrush Color to spray over four Rose Pink Shimmer Ribbons™ while still on the backing; be sure to cover the remaining ribbons so they aren’t prone to overspray.
2. Use Red Airbrush Color to spray two leaves from the Fall Leaves Assortment Dec-Ons® decorations set. Allow to dry.
3. Ice the cake in white icing.
4. Mix a small batch of black icing with Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color, and a small batch of red using airbrush color.
5. Using a #4 plain round tube and black icing, draw an “x” in the middle of the cake; these will be the flag poles. Continue by piping what will be the bottom of the flags—approximately 3 to 3.5” long—two inches down from top points of the “x.”
6. Cut four 2” strips from one painted Shimmer Ribbons™, and briefly set aside.
7. Trim both edges of the remaining Shimmer Ribbons™ with the scalloped blade of a Pastry Wheel and attach to the center of the sides of the cake.
8. Locate the four 2” ribbon strips and place two each along the black lines you’d piped to represent the bottoms of the flags. Place one at either end of the flag, perpendicular to the black line, as shown.
9. Complete the flags by outlining the remainder of each flag, and piping black dots at the top and the bottoms of each flag pole.
10. Attach one red leaf Dec-Ons® decoration to the center of the white portion of each flag with a dab of icing. At this point you may also attach red stars from the Stars Dec-Ons® decorations set around the sides of the cake, atop the Shimmer Ribbons™.
11. Pipe a beaded bottom border in white with a #10 plain round tube.
12. Pipe an appropriate message with a #5 plain round tube and red icing; finish by piping red dots at the tops and bottoms of each flag pole.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz