SIZE: 8” three-layer round
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
Wise owls are excited for the school year on this inventive pop-up cake!
1. Start with two tall layers of cake, and then carve the silhouettes of the bus and road from only one layer.
2. Ice the whole bottom layer in blue icing, tinted with Lucks Blue Liquid Airbrush Color.
3. Ice the bus in gold icing and the street in gray icing, tinted with Lucks Liquid Airbrush Colors in Egg Shade and Black, respectively.
4. Chill layers separately, and then stack when icings have set.
5. Mix lime green icing using a 3:1 ratio of Lucks Liquid Airbrush Colors in Yellow to Green, and then pipe “grass,” spackled with a spatula, to cover both layers of cake.
6. Use Dark Chocolate Fondant to cut bus windows and wheel wells, as shown.
7. Mix a small amount of red icing using Lucks Red Liquid Airbrush Color.
8. Use fudge icing to pipe detail trim on the bus with a #5 plain round tube, and red icing in a #5 tip to pipe headlights, tail lights and an inscription.
9. Pipe clouds in the sky with a #12 plain round tube and white icing.
10. Attach Owl Assortment Dec-Ons® decorations in each window with icing, and add Sunflower Dec-Ons® decorations to the wheel wells.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz