SIZE: 8” three-layer and 6” two-layer tiered rounds
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
Combine time-saving Dec-Ons® and Designer Prints™ decorations with your handmade pirate coins for an “aaaaaaarrrg”uably awesome cake!
1. A day ahead, prepare the pirate coins. Mix fondant with Lucks Golden Yellow Liqua-Gel Color.
2. Roll out fondant quite thin and cut out approximately 20 1.5” and 20 1” discs, using the Plain Round Cutter Set.
3. Using an X-Acto knife or a 1” round cutter, cut away cheek indentations from the smaller discs to create the skulls. Attach skulls to coins with a bit of water or clear potable alcohol.
4. Use the small end of the bone modeling tool from the Five Piece Tool Set to impress eyes and then use the rounded end of a veining modeling tool from the Tool Set to impress nose indentations. Use the sharp end of the veining tool to score teeth, and to create coin trim around all coin discs. Let all coins dry.
5. When you are ready to assemble the cake, begin by airbrushing the larger discs with a coat of Classic Gold Shimmer Airbrush Color or Gold Shimmer Airbrush Color. TIP: While the airbrush liquid is still wet, carefully place one fondant skull in the center of it. Let dry for at least 15 minutes.
6. Ice layers.
7. Attach the black vertical stripe pattern from Black Stripes & Red Dots Designer Prints™ decorations around the sides of the top tier.
8. Attach a Pirate Birthday Edible Image® decoration to the top of the top tier.
9. Wrap the base of the top tier with one row of Black Shimmer Ribbons™ decorations.
10. Attach the red dot pattern from the Designer Prints™ set around the sides of the bottom tier.
11. Attach two rows of Black Shimmer Ribbons™ around the base of the bottom tier.
12. Spray the coins with another coat of Gold or Classic Gold (or both) Shimmer Color, and let dry for at least 15 minutes.
13. Carefully assemble tiers.
14. Spray the coins one final time and let dry for at least 30 minutes.
15. Pipe a white beaded border around the base of the top tier using a #10 plain round tube.
16. Evenly distribute White Skulls Dec-Ons® decorations around the base of the bottom tier, attaching them with a dab of icing.
17. When the coins are dry, attach around the base of the top tier as shown, using a dab of icing.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz