SIZE: Other (cake truffles)
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
A new way to dress up the tastiest cake truffles: wrap them in vibrant Designer Prints™!
1. A day ahead, make fondant sand pails. Begin by rolling out enough White Vanilla Fondant to accommodate as many Designer Prints™ strips as you will need. TIP: one strip will create two pails.
2. Attach Happy Variety Designer Prints™ strips to the fondant with a light application of water, and trim fondant to the size of each strip. Cut each covered fondant strip in half widthwise, each piece measuring approximately 5” x 2 ¼”.
3. Print template and cut this shape from each half-strip of fondant.
4. Use a large pastry tip (such as the Pastry Open Star Tip 9S) to form the pail. Lightly apply a touch of water to one end of the strip with a small food-safe paintbrush, wrap the fondant around the decorating tip, and gently press ends together. Let each pail dry upright overnight.
5. Mix batches of blue, orange and lime fondant, using Lucks Liqua-Gel Colors in Sky Blue, Sunset Orange and Neon Brite Green.
6. Roll out colors and cut strips measuring around 5” x ½” with an X-Acto or kitchen knife.
7. Attach one strip around the top of each bucket with a light application of Clear Piping Gel, allowing 1/3 of each strip to protrude over the edge. Fold this edge down over the lip of the pail.
8. Roll out or extrude very fine white fondant ropes to use as handles (approximately 2 ½” – 3” long), and attach to two sides of each pail rim with a tiny dab of water or piping gel.
9. Mix cake pop dough from cake scraps and buttercream. Roll tapered balls to fit inside each sand pail.
10. Mix “sand” by combining sanding sugars in Gold and White, with just a pinch of Black.
11. Pipe a dollop of icing on the top of each cake truffle using a #12 plain round tube, and then dip icing in “sand” mixture.
12. Finish with starfish from Sea Assortment Dec-Ons® decorations.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz