SIZE: Other (sculpted)
SKILL LEVEL: Easy/Moderate
Fun for young or old, this wise old owl is sure to be a hit!
1. A day ahead, mix white or chocolate fondant with Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290). Roll out and cut a square for the mortarboard approximately 5”-6” in diameter. Let dry.
2. Mix orange and gold icings using Lucks Airbrush Colors in Orange (Item #10164) and Egg Shade (Item #10160) each in a white icing base. Mix black icing with Coal Black Liqua-Gel.
3. Create the owl by hand carving from 5” or 6” rounds; alternately, he can be cut from sheet cake. Take care to stabilize the cake internally with a cake board cut to size and straws or skewers.
4. Ice the owl in gold icing.
5. With chocolate icing and a #124 rose tube (Item #11068), pipe wavy “feathers” around the sides and back of the owl, as shown.
6. With chocolate icing and a #22 star tip (Item #11074), pipe forehead/eyebrow feathers.
7. With black icing and a #8 plain round tube (Item #11031), pipe the mortarboard headpiece on the owl’s head and smooth.
8. With orange icing and a #8 tip, pipe eye feathers by piping two multi-petaled “daisies” side by side. Pipe the eyeballs in black with the #8 tip, then continue by piping glasses frames around the orange eye feathers.
9. With orange icing and a #8 tip, pipe beak and talons.
10. Apply School Assortment Dec-Ons® decorations (Item #36089) as shown.
11. Attach fondant mortarboard to the top of the owl with a small dab of icing.
12. With a #4 plain round tube (Item #11026) and gold icing, pipe a tassel on the top of the mortarboard, then accentuate the orange eye feathers with overpiping.
13. If desired, fill in “eye glimmer” dots with white icing and a #4 tip.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz