SIZE: Other (sculpted)
SKILL LEVEL: Moderate
Hats off to Saint Patrick!
1. Before assembling the cake, mix green fondant by adding Lucks Leaf Green Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45274) to a white fondant base.
2. Roll out a small white piece of fondant, and cut a 2.5”-3” square; cut out center piece to make a square frame. With two equal circle forms—cake rounds, circle cutters, large bottles will all work—press fondant square evenly on two parallel sides to form rounded buckle, as shown. Spray buckle well with Lucks Gold Shimmer Airbrush Color (Item #43552) and let dry.
3. Fill and layer three 6” cakes; taper stack very slightly with a serrated knife.
4. Place tapered cake, narrow side down, on an 8” cake drum. Ice the cake with buttercream and chill.
5. Brush a light coating of corn syrup around the revealed cake drum.
6. Roll out green fondant and cover cake, including cake drum; the drum serves as the rim of the hat.
7. With the end of a paint brush or a fondant modeling tool, crease the drum rim approximately ½” in from the edge.
8. Dampen the base of the covered cake slightly with water, and apply Lucks Black Shimmer Ribbons® (Item #45815) as the hat band.
9. Mix a small batch of black icing with Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45890). With a #5 plain round tube (Item #11027) and black icing, pipe a straight band on the top and bottom of the Shimmer Ribbon®.
10. Affix dried gold buckle to the front of the cake with a dab of icing, then finish with a handful of Lucks Small Shamrock Dec-Ons® decorations (Item #14337) as shown.
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz