SIZE: Other (cookies)
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
1. Make your favorite cut-out cookie recipe and cut toadstool shapes using a set of round cutters: cut a circle, then cut away a portion of the cookie using a slightly larger round cutter to make an irregular “almond” shape for the cap. Attach strips of dough for the stem; the caps and stems will become attached in the oven. Alternately, you may use a specialty toadstool or mushroom cookie cutter.
2. These cookies are iced using the run sugar method; to make icing for this run sugar method, make a batch of royal icing and set aside 1/4 of the regular recipe. Take the remaining 3/4 and thin it down with warm water. To test for correct consistency, drop thinned royal icing from your spatula into the royal icing in the bowl. If the drop disappears by the count of 10, the royal icing has reached correct consistency.
3. Use Lucks Coal Black Liqua-Gel Color (Item #45290) to color the regular icing.
4. Use Lucks Yellow Airbrush Color (Item #10167) to color 1/3 of the thinned icing, a few drops of Blue Airbrush Color (Item #10158) to tint another 1/3 light blue, and a 3:1 ratio of Yellow to Green (Item #10162) to tint the final 1/3 lime green.
5. Use a #3 plain round tube (Item #11022) to pipe outlines using the black royal icing, then fill in with the yellow icing.
6. Use one #4 plain round tube (Item #11026) with each color to fill the caps; before the icing sets, pipe blue dots into the orange caps, green dots into the blue caps, and orange dots into the green caps, as shown.
7. Finish with Garden Gnome Royal Icing Decorations (Item #45843).
Decorating idea by Charra Jarosz